Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Book Review: Farm Fresh Southern Cooking

Farm Fresh Southern Cooking by Tammy Algood is a wonderful cookbook full of recipes that use lots of locally available produce. Her desire is to get people out of the grocery stores and shop at local farmers markets and with local farmers. She also discusses briefly how to eat seasonally and preserve foods to enjoy all year long.

I was surprised by the amount of recipes in the book. A lot of times when you get a book advocating local produce its 150 pages of someone preaching why local produce is better and then 20 recipes.

This cookbook is many many recipes that all sound amazing. She does not limit it to ingredients only found locally. She does use canned tomatoes, corn bread mixes, etc occasionally from the store. But the emphasis of each recipe is using wonderful fresh ingredient that can be purchased locally.

I also enjoy all of the spotlights she does on local farmers. She has covered most of the southern states highlighting local farmers who specialize in a certain food. These are the bigger companies that sell on a larger scale but still offer an amazing product. With the highlight she includes contact information and the website (if they have one). This a great way to not only learn about the company but to also know where they are for a quick detour on a road trip. I already have a couple stops in mind for our upcoming trip to PA.

Also one of the farms I pass every day (Roger’s Farm in Gainesville Florida) was mentioned in this book. Its nice to know that a local place got a great shout out in the book.

All in all I really enjoyed this cookbook. I am excited to add it to my wall/kindle of cookbooks to use.

Note: I did receive a free copy of this book from www.booksneeze.com to review. The comments above are my own and I was not compensated for a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment