Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The Sarced Year by Michael Yankoski


The Sacred Year by Michael Yankoski is the story of the Author’s journey to find peace and balance in his life.  Michael had worked his entire life to be successful at work. He traveled all of over the world to speak. But there was always a frantic feel to his life and a well of discontent.  In the peak of the storm he decided to change his life and go on a one year journey to find peace, contentedness, and his true self.  His journey took him to a monastery, a cave, and his office. 

I know this book is about slowing down and finding purpose in life but this book was too slow for me.  It was too much like a lulling voice describing the minutest detail of everything.  Because that’s what he does.  To slow down he observed and ate an apple.  It took an hour to do and 3-5 pages to describe in the book.  An apple!  I realize for him it was profound and eye opening experience but to me as a reader it was very long.

Because of the excessive detail and disconnected flow of each passage I was unable to read this book for very long in a single sitting.  Honestly, I was unable to finish it.  After 5 minutes of reading I was almost asleep. 

I know this book for a lot of good review and I am happy for the author.  Unfortunately I do not think I was the target audience and could not get into the subject.  I wish him the best of luck with this new life.

 
Note: I did receive a copy of this book for free from the publisher.  The opinions above are my own and I was not compensated for a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment