Friday, October 10, 2014

Book Review: Southern Foodie's Guide to the Pig


Southern Foodie’s Guide to the Pig: Culinary tour of 50 of the South’s best restaurants and the recipes by Chris Chamberlain is exactly what the title says.  It’s a book with recipes and stories from 50 of the greatest BBQ chefs/pit masters in the south. This book combines recipes, with personal stories, history, and culinary lessons. 

When I opened this book I was expecting a cookbook with a few cute tips and stories.  This is so much more.  This book includes real history and knowhow from some of the most acclaimed BBQ/pig connoisseurs in the country.  The first couple chapters cover the anatomy of the pig and how to build your own pit to roast a whole pig.   They describe techniques, reasons why parts are cooked one way and not another, and lots of amazing basic recipes.  I am so excited about this book.  Plus it’s more than… “Here’s a BBQ sauce recipe. Here’s a pulled pork recipe…”  It’s got how to make your own bacon and hams too.

I am so excited about owning this book and adding it to my collection. I have already told my husband to be prepared to build me a BBQ pit.  The material list (approximately) is included in the book.  I cannot wait to try out all the new recipes; Rubs, injections, sauces, etc.  They all look so good.

Note: I was given a copy of this book by the publisher to read and review.  The opinions above are my own and I was not compensated for a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment