Friday, January 6, 2012

Book Review: This Thing of Ours

This thing of Ours: How Faith saved my Mafia Marriage by Camille Franzese is the story of Cammy and her dating a man named Michael. Later they were married and had children. What Cammy didn't really know was that Michael was the son of Sonny Franzese, head of the Colombo Mafia family.

As Michael was trying to get out of the family and his old life, he spent 8 years in jail. During those times Cammy learned to live owning everything and nothing. She an her children would travel the US visiting Michael at different prisons.

This story is one of prayer, faith and commitment. She talks a lot about her mother's solid faith and insistence that prayer would help. Though this force Cammy and Michael both became devote Christians relying on God to resolve these issues. Today Michael is an author and speaker about the power of Faith and God.

There were a few things in this book that really stood out to me. A couple good and a couple bad.

First I loved Cammy's commitment to marriage. She really believes that for better or worse she made a commitment to Michael and never thought about or tempted herself into breaking it.
Second, I loved her honesty about making Michael an idol in her life and thinking he could fix everything instead of relying on God and his path. This is something I think a lot of women are guilty of (myself included) at some point in their marriage. Its so easy to place the love of your life in charge because he is here and you can see him and touch him and you love him so much.

The couple things I didn't like were a few stories in there where she would name out a specific person who wronged them. It felt a little petty to me and something she needs to let go. For instance, the special agent who was trying to get Michael into jail. This agent may have been out to get Michael but consider what Michael was a part of. I don't know if this agent ever crossed the line or did truly have a grudge against Michael but her hatred towards this man came through in this book and turned me off towards her a little. The second story a the guard who wasn't going to let her see Michael and made up the excuse her outfit was inappropriate. I just felt this story made her look a little petty and was not necessary towards her goal and voice in the book.

Overall I enjoyed this book. I don't think I would read it again, but I will keep this copy in my collection.

Note: I did receive a free copy of this book from www.booksneeze.com for review. The opinions above are my own and I was not compensated for a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment