Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Book Review: Smart Money Smart Kids


Smart Money Smart Kids; Raising the next generation to win with money by Rachel Cruz and Dave Ramsey is a great book.
First off I love Dave Ramsey and his message on responsible stewardship of money.  Rachel, his daughter, has joined his team speaking across America to kids.  She is the preventative care to his emergency care approach.

Rachel was born the same year Dave and his wife had to file for bankruptcy.  As she grew she watched her parents struggle to rebuild their financial lives and learn along the way the steps he now teaches daily.  As her parents were embracing this new thinking of money, they taught their kids from a very young age how to manage money.  They allowed mistakes to be made small so they wouldn’t be made huge when they were older.

Rachel and Dave discuss how allowing children to understand how money works and its finiteness as a child is key.  They also discuss the importance of balancing gifts with overindulgence, teaching grace and compassion instead of self-centric worlds. 

One of my favorite sayings in this book is most of the lessons “are caught not taught.”  I love this reminder that children are always watching and learning from our lives every day.  I can’t teach giving if I don’t give.  I can’t teach compassion of if never show compassion. 

Overall I really enjoyed this book.  It is a wonderful encouraging book for parents to look at their lives and find the daily lesson on how to teach children how to grow up to become effective productive adults.

 
Note: I was given a copy of this book to read and review from the publisher.  The opinions above are my own and I was not compensated for a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment