Monday, April 14, 2014

Book Review: Nice People Rob God


Nice People Rob God by Althea Patrick is a book looking at how people rob God of the opportunities to bless us in our lives.  We rob God by not asking for his help or blessings.  We rob God by not fully trusting in Him and letting His glory by evident in our lives.  We rob God by not tithing what is already his.

I think Althea Patrick had the best intentions of writing this book but I found it very hard and tiresome to read.   Frist I found her writing technique a little strung together and hard to follow along.  She seems to have these long and so.. and so.. and so… so of course this is what I meant kind of writings. 

Another part of the book I found off putting is her use of the term “nice people.”  I get what she is saying when she says just because your nice doesn’t mean you’re saved.  I also get that sometimes Christians need to be not nice (honest, real, open) to further the kingdom.  But I did find that in her writing I felt like every time I read it you could imagine the author looking down her nose and scowling while writing it.  To me this is the exact opposite of what we need to be showing people.  I do think there are other words that would have better described people in the situation she was trying to describe.

All in all I think this book leans more towards a rant then a well thought out book.  Although I did like the authors use of multiple biblical stories and verses to exemplify her point, a lot of the time it came across and slightly out of context in her interpretations.

Personally I would not recommend this book for friends and family to read. 

 

Note: I was given a copy of this book to read and review for free.  The opinions above are my own and I was not compensated for a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment