Thursday, November 7, 2013

Book Review: Samson


Samson; A savior will rise by Shawn Hoffman is the story of a Jewish inmate at Auschwitz. When he is recognized as a famous boxer from the last he is used for the Nazi’s entertainment; a boxing fight for entertainment but with deadly consequences.  The winner is granted extra provisions for themselves and their family.  The loser is put in the gas chamber with his family.  Samson has many life and death decisions to make that effect many.  In all this he struggles with his faith and how and why God is allowing this all to happen.

I will say this book is intense from the very beginning.  I think anything with Holocaust is but the author does not gloss over the depravity of it all.  Maybe it’s just me (and my 8th month pregnancy hormones) but this book gave me nightmares about the horrors of concentrations camps. But through it all I really enjoyed this book. 

The author does an amazing job telling the story with true grit.  This book is not the children.  It does open your eyes to the mistreatment of Jews during WWII and the callousness of the guards and doctors who experimented at the camps.  The authors decision to not shy away from the true horrors of Auschwitz makes the book that much harder to read and that much more moving.

Note: This book does contain an insert of real holocaust pictures that may be disturbing to some.

Note: I did receive a copy of this book for free to read and review.  The opinions above are my own and I was not compensated for a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment