Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Book Review: Lifted from darkness


Lifted from Darkness by Alexa Foster is a true story of the author’s story of abuse.  When she was 19 she met the most beautiful man she had ever seen while waitressing.  He was attentive, rich, and helpful when she got stuck in a bad situation.  Instantly she fell in love with him and planned their future.  She ignored many warning signs and warnings from friends and family.  Soon after they were married the abuse started.  It escalated throughout the many years she stayed with him while taking care of this daughter from a previous relationship.

This story I’m sure is true for many women.  For me, it was a very hard read.  I do not like conflict or confrontation.  The author is very real about her abuse and how she justified it. She does not make excuses for all the times he abused her or all the times she forgave him.  Although she never goes into graphic detail (because it wasn’t necessary) she does describe the abuse in enough detail it made my stomach clench every time.  I wanted to rip through these pages and save this women and the child.

Throughout all of it, her strength and perseverance comes across.  When she is finally able to unshackle herself from the abuse she thrives.  More importantly she can look back at the awful times and see how God was still present in her life and would use them in her future.

I did enjoy this book.  There were times when I wanted to put it down and just write my own quick ending in my head but God knew the story was supposed to end. 

 

Note: I did receive a copy of this book for free to read and review.  The opinions above are my own and I was not compensated for a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment