Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Book Review: God, Mankind, and Eternity

God, Mankind, and Eternity is described by the publisher as "a spiritual perspective on the creation of the universe and the life of humankind in that universe. It addresses the philosophical who, why, what, and where of humankind’s purpose and the scriptural view for the morality of human beings. It emphasizes our spiritual relationship with God, God’s love for humankind throughout the ages, and our redemption from the curse of sin."

I will first say that I believe most church goers have a strong opinion on how they believe creation occurred.  Whether a day age theory, literal day, poetic form, evolutionary creationist, etc., most people have an opinion.  A strong opinions.

There are a few minor points that I disagree with the Author on the theory of creation but that aside, his picture of creation, especially of man's creation, is beautiful. 

The Author, Oscar L Avant,  walks through history discussing Adam and Eve, the fall, Babel, Abram, Moses, Jesus, life after Jesus, and the final days  discussing the relationship between God and man in the physical and spiritual realm. 

I will say this book took me a few pages to get into.  But once I did, it became a really easy read.  I think it took me ~20 pages to get this writing rhythm and method.  He kind of jumps around on semi related subjects (aka chasing a rabbit) and then tries to bring it all together.  Considering my pastor is a expert rabbit chaser, I was able to follow along pretty well.

I would recommend this book to any believer who wants another great walk through our history and how we got to where we are today.  His discussion of the spiritual realm throughout all this is something that is not discussed in most churches on a regular basis and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Note: I did receive a copy of this book to read and review from the publishing company for free.  The opinions above are my own and I was not compensated for a positive review.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for reviewing this book. I'm thinking about doing the same as I am also a reviewer. Would you mind telling what his actual views of creation are? You mentioned day-age, literal, etc. Knowing that might help me make a decision. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete