Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Book Review: The point


The Point: The redemption of Oban Ironbout by William E Jefferson is a book about a couple who go on a journey to Estillyen.  Estillyen is known for its monks and nuns who read stories to anyone who will hear.  Specifically they read a 10 part series about parts of the bible and Christ’s journey

Holly and Goodwin MacBreeze are traveling to Estillyen for two reasons.   One, to find peace after Holly was diagnosed with cancer and two, for Goodwin to find the cabin is grandfather spoke about when he was a child.  These needs for peace and answers send them to Estillyen which answers these questions and so much more.

I really wanted to like this book but I just couldn’t.  Something about the way it was written made it so hard for me to focus and keep reading.  The characters were interesting, the monks stories thoughtful and insightful but it could not hold my interest like I wanted. 

In the synopsis of this book it was compared to Pilgrims Progress and the Shack.  Although it is kind of like them in the method is it written I would not put it on the same level.  I am huge fans of those books and once I start reading I cannot put them down. This was just not the same. 

I wish this author the very best with the book.    Unfortunately this is not a book I will keep in my collection and continue to pull out and read over and over again.

 Note: I did receive a free copy of this book to read and review.   The opinions above are my own and I was not compensated for a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment