Friday, March 15, 2013

Book Review: Bathsheba bathed in Grace


Bathsheba bathed in Grace by Carol Cook is 8 stories of women in the bible from their view. Carol eloquently retells the stories of Bathsheba, Rachel, Leah, Sara, Hagar, Tamar, and Eve.

I loved this book. Ill repeat it, Loved this book.  Carol Cook did an amazing job at retelling these well-known stories in a way that made me rethink my old perception.  Why had I always assumed Bathsheba was giddy when David called her to the castle?  I had always heard it like a bad romance novel where an old high school crush sees her and she runs to him with abandon for one nights bliss.  In reality she was ordered by the king and had no choice.  And if anyone would have found out she could have been stoned to death for his decision.

I also enjoyed the author telling the same story from two perspectives.  Although we know more about Sara’s side of the story from the bible I loved her take on Hagar’s side.  A slave ordered to bear her mistress a child and then was thrown into the drama of the house. 

I think the most amazing thing about this book is just to see how much God can use us and our situation in spite of us. God grew his people and lineage in spite of all eight women.  I love the real questioning and faith of these women and their relationship to God. 

I would highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone.  It’s not only entertaining but it strengthened by faith seeing parts of my life in theirs.  We all have doubts, jealousy, and fears but God loves us and will make our lives great if we only believe in him.

 Note: I did receive a copy of this book for free from www.booksneeze.com to read and review.  The opinions above are my own and I was not compensated for a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment