Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Book Review: Spent Matches


For my next book review I chose Spent Matches by Roy Moran.  I really really wanted to like this book and be fired up by its message. The publisher, Thomas Nelson, explains the book as

Spent Matches explores the possibility that a few small paradigm shifts within the church might make the difference between extinction and effectiveness. In fact, taking a clue from the automobile industry, the church might be able to not only halt the rapid decay in attendance but also become an effective tool in achieving Jesus' final command. For instance, the Hybrid car has become the answer to Detroit's environmental and oil crisis issues. Finding the synergy between two technologies, gas and electric has created a new day for the auto industry. Likewise, Spent Matches explores how the church can find synergy between two seemingly competing thoughts: an invitation to come and a command to go. The Hybrid metaphor brings energy to the church's mission and an explanation to the age-old argument of Missional versus Attractional methods.
After waiting excitedly I decided to take this book on a trip to read.  Two 2 hour flights would be the perfect time to spend on it.  But I couldn’t.  I could not get into this book.  From the start I wasn’t engaged.  I tried skipping to what I thought was the good stuff but still I found myself forcing my eyes to stay on the page.

I think part of the problem is I may not have been the key audience for this book but I thought my enthusiasm for the topic would make up for some of that.  Sadly it did not.  I will be passing this book onto my friends who may appreciate the message a bit more than I did. 


I’m sorry Roy Moran.  I really really wanted to Love you book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment