Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Book Review: Discipleship

Discipleship: Living for Christ in the Daily Grind by J. Heinrich Arnold is a compilation of thoughts from the author. Heinrich Arnold spent most of his life in a community in Germany that lived by the Acts 2 and 4 community. In 1963 he was asked to become their pastor and preached for over 20 years until his death. He was known for always showing love and grace, always pointing his congregation to Christ, and always speaking truthfully, even if it was painful to hear.

This book is set up by topics with messages from the author, lists of scripture, and letters from community followers who had written him. From the original description provided by the publisher I was surprised by the book and its layout. But I have really enjoyed it so far. His views on many topics would be considered very conservative but re based on well rooted biblical principles. I enjoyed picking a topic and reading the scripture and verses with how they apply. His views on topics are directed to individuals and whole congregations.

  All and all I enjoy this book. Although I may read though some sections from page to page (is that what you call the middle of a book’s cover to cover?) but mostly it will be used as a reference book on specific topics. His book is meant to challenge and it will if you focus your mind and heart on the topics discussed in the book. Note: I was given a copy of this book to read and review. The opinions written above are my own an I was not compensated for a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment